Tuesday, January 28, 2014

B is for...

Late as usual...

After we finished the letter A we went to the letter B for a week.

I started with introducing the letter by saying the name and showing her the upper case and lower case letters. Sounding it out and naming a few words she knows that starts with the letter B.

( she wanted to use the chalk board instead of the white board. This Melissa & Doug easel is awesome, I'm just not a huge fan of the chalk part. I don't like how it feels. )

Haydee coincidentally found some foam building block shapes in the bottom of a box in the tv room that week. It went perfect for the letter B week because she learned about building (a letter B word).

( here she told me she built a train and a house) 

I printed out the letter B and drew circles inside the letter. She would grab the pom poms and place them inside the circles. This is good for fine motor skills. She really gets excited when we use the pom poms and she counts each one as she places it. Then I let her color the letter and she decided to color each circle a different color.


I saw a worksheet  online that looked like a word search but instead of words it was to find the letter Bb. So since I've been wasting soo much ink (and ink is supper expensive) I decided to just do something similar on the white board. I helped her by writing the letter Bb at the top so she knew what she was looking for. She did awesome.


I actually ended up printing a letter B search later on that week (lol).. she used her handy dandy dot markers and dotted away at the lower and uppper case b's..she dotted a 'd' and a 'q' and I tried to explain to her that those were different. This is were I got the worksheet from.


I told her to try lacing the letter with the pack I got her at the teacher store but shes still not really into it. She'll do one or two holes, pull the string then want to take it all out. She gets more excited on taking out the shoe lace then actually sticking it around all the holes.


Our capital B craft was a bumble bee. I cut out the letter B, stripes, and wings from construction paper. I placed it all together without gluing it and showed her what we were making. I took it all apart and let her glue and place each piece together again. As you can see the stripes aren't perfect haha. After it was done we ran around the room buzzing like bumble bees.


I got our lower case b craft from some website that I cant remember.. They incorporated some coffee filter craft that I've seen a lot online and I've been wanting to try it out. Your supposed to color the filter and then spray with water and all the colors merge to one ending with a really pretty result. It didnt work at alll how I expected it to. Not sure if it was the markers we used or if she didnt color it enough but, spraying the water hardly did anything. I helped her color most of the filter and the letter because she would only color small bits. I found an empty spray bottle but it was too hard for her to press. So, basically this craft was a total bust...but atleast the end result came out somewhat cute.


Sometimes I forget that Haydee is onlyy 2 years old. Shes soo smart that I get carried away and expect so much from her. I really just need to remember that whats important right now is to make learning fun!!..and not stressful, especially for her.

Library this week was pretty interesting. My mom played hooky at work that day and came with us. Haydee is improving, shes getting a little farther away from me and closer to the teacher and kids. There was a time me and my mom felt soo bad for her (it was actually a little funny). The teacher was reading a poem while holding a stuffed animal. All the kids were running up to touch it and she looked at me to see if I approved, which of course, I did. She slowllllyyy went up (but I mean, realllyy slow, taking teeny weeny steps). Walking towards the front of the room she came to a stop and looked at me (with a face that I cant even describe). There was a little girl laying across the floor blocking her way. She was able to overcome the obstacle and walked around the little girl again in teeny tiny steps finally reaching the teacher. The other kids were all being aggressive to be able to reach the toy...and then there was haydee, on the side, looking at me us and the teacher waiting patiently to be able to touch it. I kept telling her to go and touch it. That it was okay. to just raise her hand and get in there!...She finally did! Me and my mom got soo happy.

It might seem silly to think that I was so happy for something so little but, I feel like that was a big step for her. She is a shy girl with people she doesn't know and doing something our of your comfort zone is always a good thing!


I also want to add...nothing to do with the letter of the week but..Haydee drew her first smiley face! I made a circle with dotted lines and she traced it. Then she told me she wanted to draw a smiley face so I just told her all the parts and she did it. All by herself without me telling her where they go and how to do it. My little smarty pants!

( idk if its just me because I'm her mama but, they really do look like smiley faces to me. They have eyes, a nose, a mouth, ears, and one has "crazy hair" haha


 Until next time,
Your favorite Mommy! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment