Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Yummy in your babies tummy!

About a month ago I made some homemade baby food for my fatty. With the help of my mom of course..I dont know what I'd do without her. Well, we went to the supermarket and decided to mix a bunch of things together and came up with green beans, carrots, squash, sweet potato and turkey. I also wanted her to try some new things that dont come in store bought baby foods. So I ended up buying some asparagus and spinach (made them by themselves and she LOVED them both).

FIRST HOMEMADE MEAL:
To start we cleaned and peeled the carrots, squash and beans. Me and my mom were actually quite confused about the green beans and what to do with them. Thank goodness for Google! I quickly did a search and found out you just snap off the ends.



So we cut the carrots and squash into chunks and put them in the steamer for 15min with the green beans. While that was steaming, we cleaned and peeled the sweet potato. Then we got a pot with water and added the sweet potato, a piece of green pepper, onion and some garlic and waited for it to boil. After a few minutes I stuck in the turkey breasts cut into chunks.


After everything was done steaming and boiling, it was time to puree. Leaving out the green pepper, onion and garlic..that was just to add some more yummyness. Since it ends up bieng pretty chunky I added some breast milk making it EXTRA healthy! By the way, I bought one of those stick hand mixers and it worked great! I didnt think it was going to be able to blend all of it, but it certainly did, and it was pretty fun using it.


She loved it of course..shes a true fatty! =]


Let me tell you that this baby food actually SMEELED like food! Not like the store bought baby food that smells like nothing. Its fresh and way more healthy. I will say that it does take some effort to make, but its way worth it. Its not just buy, open and feed. It can be though, once you make a batch and store it into tiny jars.

I did some research before making this and found important fruits and vegetables your babies should be eating..from what I found I noticed 5 out of the 19 (thats alot!) vegetables are actually in the store bought foods.

Some of the better foods that are not in store bought foods are: Asparagus, broccoli, beets, cauliflower, cucumber, eggplant, parsnips, spinach, zucchini, avocado, cantaloupe, papaya, cranberries, cherries, grapes.

Once your done making the food, add some of it into jars that will last a couple of days. Add the rest in ice cube trays until frozen then transfer into freezer bags for easy grabbing. Each cube is about 1 oz.
Happy cooking!

Until next time,
your favorite Mommy! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment